Friday, November 14, 2008

Waving

I've ridden the moto to work a few times now and I think I'm going to like it. My prior moto experience has all been off road, so riding on the road in traffic has taken some getting used to. However, my 20 years of road cycling has given me an awareness of cars that really helps. The most difficult thing to deal with so far has been getting over the feeling of being blown off the bike at highway speeds. Getting a road helmet without a visor has helped a bunch. I don't feel like my head's going to be ripped off any longer.

I'm noticing some slight differences between moto riders and cyclists. Waving is one of them. While most cyclists I approach coming in the opposite direction wave to you, every motorcyclist I've come across so far has waved. In addition, the method of waving is a little different. My natural cyclist wave is to take my left hand off the bars and wave above the bars. However, this apparently is not the proper moto wave. Every wave I've gotten so far is with the left hand below the bars. I'm going to need to practice.

On the cross front, I'm really looking forward to Wheeler tomorrow.

No comments: