Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fast Crossing

We had a beautiful fall day in Ogden today. The new venue at the Weber County Fair Grounds was top notch and resulted in very fast racing. It was the most road-like cross racing I've ever done and a nice change. Tactics and drafting played a big part. I made the initial split with McKone and Sam, but didn't last long and ended up in the chase group of 4 to 8 depending on the lap. The field was loaded with fast old guys, so I was pleased with my eventual 5th place finish. If only I could have hung on to the lead two for a little longer....... My HR download showed I was at or above threshold 45 minutes of the race. Ouch.

Tanner had another great race and finished a very close 2nd. He got gaped in the last dirt section of the last lap by a local Pro MTB racer. I was proud of him. With a course so road-like, he did well. There was a lead group of ten plus that eventually whittled down to 4. They stayed together until the last couple of laps when T and the winner got a gap and held it.

Chris and Bart were off the front of the A's again. Bart bunny-hopped the big log stack to win. Those guys are fast. Eric dropped a chain, but battled back for 6th. Ben finished I think 7th in my group in his 2nd cross race. Impressive. Greg was right with me until a crash took him out. Bummer.

We took lots of pictures. Here's some of the best.



Some pro packing of the Element. 4 bikes, spare wheels, canopy and trainer.


The big B field. T's up there somewhere.
Tanner and his 3 breakaway mates.
My mad bunny-hopping skills.
Bob and his new bike looking a little concerned about the big logs.
Jens just looks fast.

Catching a ride on the A-train.

Chris and Bart.

Finally, its was good to have some of the local family at the race. Thanks guys. The encouragement helps.

3 comments:

StupidBike said...

may be slow, but my bike brings out the highlights on my team kit.

Daren said...

It is pretty.

neil said...

Here are some pics from the b race and masters 45+.